For DLDQ2018 I’m trying to avoid getting too in my head while planning an optimal path. Sure, I could spend all my time trying to pre-optimize a route based on historical line and FastPass availability data, but that would drive me crazy. Things are going to change day-of, and my best plans would likely be disrupted. Instead, I’ve written a rough route shaped around the showtimes that I need to hit to finish at a reasonable time. Here’s a draft of that route, please feel free to comment or @ me on twitter if you see potential improvements.
I’ve started with figuring out which rides I’d like to prioritize FastPasses for. This order is partially based on what order I’d want to attack the park in (Frontierland being last since I need to sync up with Fantasmic) and partly based on what timing I expect to get by following this order.
An interesting thing to note is that Roger Rabbit Car-Toon Spin does not take up a FastPass slot. It is the only ride at Disneyland that does this. As a result, I can get my Indiana Jones FP at the same time as Roger Rabbit, giving me a time-save in Toontown without having to give up a time-save for Indiana Jones (which I will definitely need a time-save for).
- Space Mountain
- Star Tours
- it’s a small world
- Roger Rabbit Car-Toon Spin
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Haunted Mansion
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
The Actual Route
TL;DR: Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Toontown, Pixie Hollow, Fantasy Faire, Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Frontierland
There’s a quirk of the DAS return time system that will play to my advantage during the run. Let’s say the wait for Peter Pan is 40 minutes. If you get a return time, you can come back in 40 minutes or any time after. Return times don’t expire, you just have to use one to get another. This means that if I get a return time for a ride without FP, I can do other things while waiting for the return time to pop and, if the other things take longer than anticipated, I can still get the time-save from the return time.
Additionally, several things on the Rivers of America close early to prepare for Fantasmic. I’ll need to make sure I complete these while they’re still open, otherwise my run will have to extend into the next day.
- 8am: Rope Drop! get an FP for Space Mountain as I walk back to Peter Pan
- Depending on Peter Pan’s wait time, get a return time for later or get in line. (>20m for return time)
- Ride the other Fantasyland dark rides while waiting for Peter Pan return time to pop.
- Order: Snow White, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Alice
- Ride Peter Pan!
- Get Star Tours FP once available
- Ride Mad Tea Party and King Arthur’s Carousel
- Head over to Space Mountain
- Ride Star Tours
- Get Matterhorn FP when available
- Ride Buzz Lightyear
- Go watch Path of the Jedi
- Go to Star Wars Launch Bay
- If there’s time, ride Autopia for Finding Nemo
- 11:35am: Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- This is at Tomorrowland Theatre, which is conveniently right next to Galactic Grill, so eat some lunch while watching.
- Get a Small World FP if the timing makes sense
- Ride whatever Tomorrowland rides remain and go on the Matterhorn
- Get Roger Rabbit FP and, if the return time makes sense, Indiana Jones
- Do all of Toontown in whatever order I’m feeling like
- I will likely get a return time for Meet Mickey since it’s the only thing in Toontown that’s likely to have any line.
- Do the one Pixie Hollow meet and greet I have to do
- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
- Head to Fantasy Faire, if there’s time do Royal Hall, if not:
- 2pm: Storytelling at Royal Theatre
- 2:30pm: Mickey and the Magical Map
- Head to Main Street
- 3pm: Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln / The Disney Gallery
- 3:15pm: Dapper Dans
- Main Street Cinema
- Head to Adventureland and use that dang Indiana Jones FP
- Get a return time for Jungle Cruise
- Watch the Enchanted Tiki Room while waiting for Jungle Cruise return time.
- If there’s time (there will be) get a dang Dole Whip
- Walk through Tarzan’s Treehouse I guess
- Get a return time for Pirates
- Use the Haunted Mansion FP that I presumably got earlier
- Go ride Winnie the Pooh and Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes (closes at 4pm)
- dinner at Hungry Bear
- Get a churro
- Head to Frontierland
- haven’t routed this cause I’m not sure what time it will be when I get here
- Sailing Ship Columbia (closes at 4pm)
- Tom Sawyer Island (closes at 5pm)
- Mark Twain Riverboat (closes at 5:45pm)
- Frontierland Shootin’ Exposition
- Big Thunder FP
- 9pm: Fantasmic!
- Done! Unless I messed something up earlier and then Work It In.
It’s extremely optimistic that I will be done by Fantasmic but it’s worth a shot. Let me know how unrealistic you think this is!